Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Trip to Labor and Delivery

I spent the day yesterday in Labor and Delivery...yesterday was quite the day for sure!

If you are the least bit squeamish by anything related to pregnancy, it would be my suggestion to you that you make the choice not to continue to read, ha!

My day started yesterday with something not normal for me thus far. I woke up and my panties were not dry {sorry, I warned you}, but not in any way that they have been before during pregnancy...if you know what I mean. I called the doctor and they told me to monitor the situation for a few more hours then call them back, after a few hours it was still happening. At that point they told me to head to labor and delivery to make sure that I was not leaking amniotic fluid...dreaded!

Let me interject real quick that my hubby was out of town yesterday and was 5 hours away...that definitely added some extra anxiety to the situation for sure!

I called my best friends Tennyson and Brooke and we all met at the hospital. They hooked me up to all the belly monitors and sweet Baby Jett was totally fine. He was moving all around like crazy and his heartbeat was right where they wanted it to be, so he was totally fine...Praise the Lord! After hooking me up to all the monitors they did the litmus test that would show if I was leaking amniotic fluid and again, Praise the Lord it was negative!

After the test came back negative for amniotic fluid, my FABULOUS nurse Libby {who is proceeded to call Libbs all day} came back in and informed me that she had called my doctor to tell him that the fluid test came back negative. I thought at this point that I was home free {it was around 2:30 pm}, boy was I wrong...little did I know that I was going to be there until after 10 pm!

Libby informed me that my blood pressure had been super high the whole time that I had been there {like 146/105} and she said that Dr. N wanted her to run some blood work to make sure all my numbers weren't in the range of having preeclampsia. Keep this in mind...I had been to the doctor on Monday and my blood pressure was fine then, in fact it is always fine every time that I go {like 116/70} so this whole high blood pressure situation was totally out of the blue.

The preeclampsia tests came back within what is considered "normal" parameters, so she said that Dr. N wanted to do a 24 urine analysis to make sure that there wasn't any protein in my urine...which is a sign of preeclamsia because your kidneys start not filtering all the protein out. Sweet Libbs informed me that she was going to move me to a more comfortable room and start the test. At this point I was in an exam type room that basically had a gurnie for a was seriously uncomfortable!

Once we got to my room and I was hooked up to all the monitors again I just tried to relax and watch some TV. My blood pressure was completely fine once I was moved to the new room...I secretly think that it was the gurnie that I was on that was breaking my tailbone that caused the high blood pressure, ha! Once about 5 hours passed and my blood pressure continued to be lower than average I asked Libbs if I could continue this urine test at home. She said that she was leaving at 7pm and that she'd call Dr. N to see if that was possible...of course to my extreme disappointment he said no.

At 7pm Libbs came to my room to tell me bye, she was seriously the sweetest! I began to have a full blown crying breakdown to her. At this point no one was there with me {my dad was on his way} and I totally felt all alone. I was scared because I don't want to have Jett at 31 weeks, uncomfortable, I missed Billy {I told him that there was no reason for him to come home to be bored with me peeing at the hospital} and I was so tired of being there. I certainly didn't want to stay the night all just to pee...I could do that at home. I don't mean to sound like a total brat in any way, but you have to understand that Jett was totally fine and NOT AT ALL a concern and my bp was no longer a concern either...I was just completely over staying there to pee in a giant, orange reserve.

Libby told me that everything was going to be okay and that she was sorry that I had to stay there but that she would pray for me tonight in her prayers that I would get a good night sleep and feel better. This made me feel better and I just excepted in my mind that I was going to have to stay there by myself for the night and I knew that everything was going to be okay. Libby left for the night and I told her that when I actually went into labor with Jett that I was going to ask for her because she was seriously THE BEST...I loved her!!

As I layed there watching TV around 9pm, my night nurse Jamie came in and informed me that Dr. N had called to check on me and that since my bp had been normal for so long that he was going to let me take the orange reserve home and then bring it back to the hospital lab tomorrow. As you can imagine, I was so happy!!! She said that I would have to be on bed rest until when I followed up with Dr. N on Tuesday and that she was going to give me a shot of steroids then Billy would have to give me one again 24 hours later. The steroids they give just as a precautionary measure just in case you have go into pre term labor.

So I am hanging out on bed rest until Tuesday when I follow up with Dr. N and hopefully at that point I will be released from bed rest and back to life as usual. I have made a few trips up to Drug Warehouse to check my blood pressure and it has been normal each time, so I am hopeful that it will stay that way until Tuesday as well. Sorry for the super long picture free post! I would so appreciate any prayers that you would be willing to send my way. There is nothing more that I want at this point than to carry this sweet little babe to term! I hope that y'all are having a great weekend!!


  1. So glad everything worked out & baby Jett & momma are ok! Prayers!

  2. Been there done that!!;)
    so glad you guys are fine!!!!! I'll keep ya in my prayers!! I was on bedrest with laiken. Just watch lots of tv and read lots of gossip mags.:)

  3. So glad you are ok. Relax and take care of yourself and Jett.:)

  4. Oh my gosh! Scary Natalie!! I'm so glad you and Jett are okay and home resting now. I will definitely be praying for you both!

  5. What a scare! I hope everything is fine now. Take care of baby AND mama!


Sweet Comments